InHand Electronics, Inc. is a leading provider of low-power embedded systems and software to original equipment manufacturers of handheld, portable, battery operated, Internet of Things (IoT), and wireless devices. InHand specializes in the design and production of low-power and rugged single board computers (SBCs) and mobile devices. Industry focus includes military/defense, industrial, medical, transportation, infotainment, field operations equipment, and more. InHand’s in-house expertise includes: project management, systems engineering, electrical engineering, software engineering, mechanical engineering, production engineering and test engineering.
InHand invests R&D dollars in the development of embedded computing and handheld platforms, sells these platform as commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) product, and also utilizes these platforms as the basis for customized platforms in a process called Modified COTS. The design of a new COTS platform, usually in the form of a single board computer (SBC), starts with the selection of a microprocessor appropriate for target industries. These processors are available for 10 or more years, offered in industrial and automotive qualified temperature ranges and use cases, have a robust and flexible feature set (including multimedia capability with a wide range of peripherals) and are supported by common operating systems. The SBC architecture is design for a range of target applications, usually providing display, common peripheral, and wireless interfaces, along with operating systems targeted for the circuit board.
InHand’s current processor focus is the NXP/Freescale i.MX line of processors (i.MX 6 platforms available i.MX 8 platforms in design) and supported with Android, Linux, VxWorks, and Windows Embedded operating systems. Previous generation platforms include TI’s OMAP, Intel’s Atom, and Marvell’s PXA processors.
Products & Services
- InHand provides commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) SBC and tablet platforms for OEMs of wireless, IoT, and handheld electronic devices.
- InHand offers standard, custom and semi-custom electronics boards. Standard product includes: Fury-M6, Fury-F6, Siren-F6, Fury, Siren, and Fingertip5.
- InHand can customize its standard SBCs using a process called Modified COTS to provide unique circuitry or interfaces, and to optimize product cost. Fully custom board design is also available.
- Hydra-F6 rugged tablets are available commercial off-the shelf (COTS) or semi or fully custom to meet project specifications. The NXP/Freescale i.MX 6 based tablet is the ideal for OEMs seeing a durable, long-life solution.
- InHand has many years of custom engineering rugged, low-power, mobile device design for projects requiring unique specifications.
- A streamlined phase/gate process guided by experienced project managers minimizes risk and ensures projects on time and on budget.
- InHand partners with local test firms to validate new designs early, minimize risk, and complete regulatory certification.
- Extended support is standard for 90 days following project completion – InHand offers support renewal, as well as custom, multi-year support plans that may include: 800 number access, 24-hour turnaround, hardware/software upgrades, etc.
- InHand is ITAR registered and US classified compliant for engineering design services and products.
CAGE code: 8Z220.