Medical grade tablets differ in features and use cases as compared with consumer grade tablets, which usually cannot meet FDA, HIPAA, and other regulatory requirements simply through software changes and a more rugged outer package. This often requires a custom tablet design that tightly integrates these features and assures high reliability, security, and privacy.
When used for patient care, medical tablets must meet FDA-mandated requirements for safety, privacy, and reliability. This results in a medical device that will not harm the patient, securely stores data, and in general performs its functions as intended.
Over the past several years, the medical field has been adopting the use of medical tablets. Like their computer counterparts, medical tablets must also meet the durability requirements necessary in the field of medicine. Medical grade tablets must be able to withstand a variety of liquids and chemicals spills, drops and other harsh conditions while maintaining functionality. Medical tablets help streamline information, eliminate the waste and the space required of paper charts, and decrease the carry load of EMTs, home health care providers and other medical personal on the move.
The Android operating system is increasingly utilized as a basis for medical tablets and custom medical devices. Android-based application software runs the medical application, and is easy to develop with the Android GUI in place. InHand specializes in customization of the underlying Android build to match both the tablet hardware and to configure the environment for medical use, such as direct boot into the medical application, removal of the settings menu and ability of the user to modify configuration outside of the application, and control or suppression of remote software updates. A medical grade Android tablet often accelerates time to market and decreases application development labor.
Since 2000, InHand Electronics has been a leading provider of low-power embedded systems and software to OEM developers of handheld and wireless devices. InHand has created one of the most rugged tablets on the market, combining over a decade of low-power, durable device experience with the revolutionary sunlight-readable Pixel Qi display to create the Hydra-T3 and Hydra-F6. The compact design is light weight, ultra-low power and optimal for OEMs in the medical industry.
Why Choose a Tablet from InHand
InHand specializes in the design of tablets and portable devices that operate on batteries, are rugged, comply with strict regulations, and are available for long periods of time, often 5-10 year or more. Specifically, InHand designs offer the following benefits:
- High quality components, often manufactured in ISO 13485 certified facilities, with supply chain traceability.
- Design for medical safety requirements per IEC 60601 and subsections.
- Incorporation of specialized peripherals, such as probes, barcode scanners, and NFC/RFID readers, as a part of the device.
- Capable of utilizing Wi-Fi radios that support protocols such as the various types of Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) and Cisco Certified Extensions (CCX). This is often required for connection to the network of hospitals and other medical facilities.
- Rugged, surviving drops, water and other liquids, and potentially harsh weather when taken outdoors. Can be sanitized and may be made of antimicrobial materials.
- Designed by a rugged product specialist. Special techniques are required in designing completely sealed devices to assure operation when there is no ventilation path for heat dissipation.
- Ability to be customized. InHand caters to clients who must support unique use cases, peripherals, interfaces, and various other product requirements.
Contact InHand for information about the Hydra-F6 tablet or for customized tablet designs.