Frequently Asked Questions
Development platforms include the hardware and operating system software that allow you to jump-start application development. This includes InHand COTS single board computer (SBC) hardware, operating system software including source code, standard peripheral interface ports, embedded display usually with touchscreen, and more. Current operating systems supported on InHand COTS product are Android and Linux. Windows CE is available for the Fury TI OMAP. Other operating systems may be possible; please contact us for feedback.
Hardware on Development Platforms
- Fury or Siren single board computer (SBC), usually with a matching Muse I/O breakout board
- Standard peripheral interfaces, including USB host (Type A), USB On-the-Go (micro USB), Ethernet (RJ-45), RS-232 (DB-9). Some platforms additionally include HDMI and/or eSATA.
- Wireless interfaces standard to the SBC platform, including Wi-Fi
- Color display, usually with touchscreen
- DC voltage input via wall transformer
- Hardware Reference Manual
Software on Development Platforms
- Linux or Android operating systems, customized for the InHand COTS embedded computing platform
- Integrated graphics support libraries, such as Qt and Gstreamer, for Linux platforms
- Security enhanced libraries: SE Linux or SE Android
- Complete InHand boot loader, Linux kernel and file system images for reverting to factory default
- Boot loader, kernel, and file system source code, including the InHand customizations. This is typically organized as the microprocessor vendor’s standard OS release with InHand customizations as a set of patches
- InHand software license
- Software release notes and platform user’s guide
Development platforms also include engineering support.
Our Development Platforms are designed to allow rapid prototyping of your embedded device’s hardware and software.
Pre-loaded with Android or Linux, and configured with a display, serial and audio ports, hardware buttons, and an AC power adapter, our development platforms are ready for you to begin software development as soon as you receive them. Each development platform also includes source code for customizing the operating system, providing different capabilities depending on the needs of your embedded device.
For customers that need to create application-level software for Android or Linux, our development platforms ship with the necessary application-level SDKs. In addition, our Linux Development Platform provides the necessary cross-compiler for producing Linux binaries for a XScale target device using an x86-based host. While our Development Platforms do not provide the Microsoft Embedded Visual Tools suite needed for application development, Microsoft has made these tools available as a free download from their website.
Our products can be used for almost any application. Customers have created handhelds for military, medical, security, instrumentation, and transportation applications, to name a few.
Client application diversity can be viewed through InHand’s case studies.
InHand’s platforms currently support a variety of LCD displays in various sizes. Our operating systems utilize both processor hardware accelerators and software algorithms to render display video, including rotation algorithms that allow displays to be used in portrait and landscape mode. Families of displays can be supported using display adapter cables or circuitry, or customized processor board circuitry where economically feasible.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about a specific display.
InHand circuitry is designed and manufactured for industrial temperature ranges (-40 C to 85 C). The temperature range of a selected display may limit the operational temperature range, based on its specifications. InHand can help identify the a complete system solution to meet applicaton temperature requirements. Please contact us for details.
InHand boards are designed to be easily mounted inside standard and custom handheld packages. Mounting holes and rails are provided, and SolidWorks, Step, and IGES 3D CAD files are available. We also produce custom packaging, contact us for more details.
InHand offers 90 days of standard support. Extended support is also available.
Standard InHand technical support does not include debugging customer and/or third party applications. Customers who would like direct engineering support may purchase extended support or fixed priced contracts from InHand.
Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Yes, the intellectual property for InHand hardware and associated operating system software is available for licensing, as well as for volume purchasing. Our engineering services are also available to complement your development efforts. Please contact us to determine if IP licensing is the right solution for you.